The AVKO Educational Research Foundation, founded in 1974, has as its mission the following, and is pursued by AVKO's research endeavors:
- To determine what makes the learning of reading and spelling so difficult for some and so easy for others.
- To determine what it is about our language that good readers learn without being taught that poor readers don't.
- To determine whether or not that which poor readers don't learn is ever systematically taught and if it isn't, if it can be.
- To devise techniques and materials to enable teachers (or parents) to systematically teach poor readers and/or poor spellers that which schools presently are not teaching.
- To widely disseminate its discoveries of techniques and materials that enable dyslexics to learn to read and to spell.