Monday, July 11, 2011

To Teach a Dyslexic - Testimonials

To Teach a Dyslexic

Testimonials

Hi, I teach adults, Essential Skills, in the Literacy Group of Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario. I happened on your book [To Teach a Dyslexic] in the bookcase of a colleague when I was looking for information on dyslexia. It was a prep day for me and I was hunting up resources. I started reading the book and just couldn't put it down. Thank you so much for putting into writing such an amazingly candid and readable compilation of anecdotes which are so simple and clear for those of us who don't have teaching degrees. Cheers!!


I really enjoyed reading sections of your book in the Internet. I will definitely buy it soon. My son is fifteen and he has dyslexia, I have known about it since he was six years old. I, at the time, did not have any idea what that was. I since bought many books and read many articles about the condition.


I can't decide if you crack me up into little pieces or big pieces, but you really make me laugh. I love your sense of humor. I have been reading your book on teaching reading and I just shake my head and laugh. You are so right about it all !!! Reading upside down is hard, but I can do it easily, I can even decipher the "creative spelling" upside down without translation. You did get me on the Philadelphia spelling. I was even raised in Philadelphia. I had to look at that one a few times before I got it! The sad part is, I know you aren't joking, I know people who do spell like that. What a shame. I think your theories on why things are so pathetic in the institutional schools, are right on the money.


www.avko.org

www.spelling.org

No comments:

Post a Comment