Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I just don't know where to begin.

Dear Mr. McCabe,

I have been looking at your website and I just don't know where to begin.

My daughter has been tested and found to be severely dyslexic. She is almost 10 and can sound out small words. We homeschool our older children and want to continue to homeschool our youngest. There are no tutors in our area, that we have found to help us. Someone referred me to your website but I just don't know where to begin. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you for any help.

1. If your child cannot print and write quickly and smoothly, I would recommend working with her handwriting, four fifteen minute periods scattered throughout the day. I would recommend the Let's Write Right series including the Rhymes and More Rhymes companion book. If you can't afford that, you might want to work with what is on the website and is free, Starting at Square One.

2. If you child has access to a computer, she should learn the proper keyboarding techniques. Her reading and spelling can improve with Individualized Keyboarding because it teaches spelling patterns AS she learns the keyboard. Make sure you order the freebie that goes along with it that gives explicit instructions on how to help a dyslexic.

3. I highly recommend If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me To Do It. The first seven lessons are on the website.

www.avko.org www.spelling.org

No comments:

Post a Comment