The Patterns of English Spelling
Includes side-by-side pages from Word Families in Sentence Context for Vols. 1-8
- Index for Volumes 1-10
- Volume 1 has all the short vowel CVC words such as dad, get, tin.
- Volume 2 has all the short vowel CVCC words such as band, went, itch.
- Volume 3 has all the long vowel (CV and VCe) words such as go, nice, tube.
- Volume 4 has all the long vowel digraph words such as raid, seem, roam.
- Volume 5 has all the -R and W- controlled words plus the only listing of all the insane, crazy, outlaw words from the simple was, does, and says to the less frequently used lingerie, solder, and colonel.
- Volume 6 has the Basic Suffixes with words such as battle, dreadful, batter.
- Volume 7 has the ending Y words such as destiny, simplify, tricky.
- Volume 8 has the power suffixes. Example words are precious, partial, permission.
- Volume 9 has the Advanced Patterns. Example words are technique, chauvinism, rendezvous.
- Volume 10 has all the prefixes, suffixes, Latin and Greek roots.
How Can You Use This Book?
- Quickly find all of the words in a word family.
- Find additional words in a word family for additional practice or substituting out words that are already known.
- Find the spelling rules for the word families currently being studied in your spelling program.
- Find all of the words that follow the same syllable patterns (syllabication; e.g., CVC, CVVC) in the same volume.
- Create your own spelling program with the help of Individualized Spelling's pre-tests. See Sequential Spelling.
- Use the pages from Word Families in Sentence Context to give a sentence context for your spelling program.
- Note: Volumes 9 and 10 do not yet have completed contextual sentences.
- Use the contextual sentences as preview or review exercises for dictation, choral reading, or individual reading.
- Teach advanced vocabulary for college preparation or preparation for standardized tests or spelling bees.